Thursday, June 2, 2016

Croatian Swirl Bread (Provitica)

I have been getting more into baking breads and after watching the Great British Baking Show on Netflix and looking through recipes online, I came across this recipe on Saveur and decided to give it a try.

http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/povitica-croatian-walnut-swirl-bread

The original recipe is for a walnut bread, but due to allergies in my family, I switched to pecans.


First I toasted the pecans in a frying pan for a little bit.


Then I made the filling in a food processor that easily grinded up everything for me.


The result was this butter nut paste that tasted pretty good with a cinnamon roll flavor.


The dough was a yeast based dough that had to rise for a while, but then you roll it out really thin and add the nut paste.


Then you roll it up really tight.


I accidentally made mine too wide, so I just folded it over in the bread pan and hoped for the best.


The bread has to cook for so long that the outside of mine got really crispy.


The crispiness made the outside layer fall off when I cut it into slices.


It came out tasting like cinnamon roll bread or similar to a Hungarian nut roll that my grandma makes around the holidays. I thought it could use a bit of icing on top and definitely less cooking on the outside to keep it from falling apart when cutting. It is definitely something I want to experiment with more and would recommend giving it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment