Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cakes from the Past Part 3: Fun with Fondant

The next cake I'm going to post is the one I made for my boyfriend's birthday.  It was my first attempt using fondant and it came out pretty well.  Using fondant is kind of like using play dough which made it really fun.  For the actual cake, I got a strawberry cake mix and covered it in coconut frosting to make a strawberry coconut cake (inspired by a popsicle).  Once I covered the cake, I realized I had leftover, so I had my friend who is way more artistic than me cut out letters for his name and a dinosaur that turned out looking like Reptar from Rugrats.


I was messing around with a bottle cap and realized that it would make a good cookie cutter for the fondant, so I added the colored circles on the side.

Here you can see the inside of the cake with it's strawberry and coconut.  Also, my boyfriend, the handsome young man, seemed to enjoy his birthday cake. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment