Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Giada's Strawberry Meringue Clouds

My mom was watching the food network and saw an episode of Giada De Laurentiis where she made strawberry meringue clouds. What caught my mom's attention was that she put freeze-dried strawberries into the meringue. You normally can't add anything wet like fresh fruit to a meringue, because they have to be bone dry for them to set correctly. My mom printed off the recipe and told me to give them a try and I did. The recipe can be found here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/strawberry-meringue-clouds-recipe.html


The strawberries had to be cut up into smaller pieces.


You just make a basic meringue and get it to the shiny stiff peak stage.


Then I added the strawberries,


a bit of lemon zest, and then folded those into the meringue.


They have to bake forever, so keep that in mind before you start.


Here's how they came out.


The strawberries gave it a unique flavor and twist to a traditional meringue. I'd like to try these again, but mix it up with different dried fruits now that I know that it can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment