Sunday, August 15, 2010

Threadcakes

Threadless, my favorite t-shirt place, had a contest to make cakes based off a design for one of their shirts.  As a result, my friend and I assembled a cake based on their shirt "The friendly narwhal."  Here's the link: http://www.threadcakes.com/entries/view/945

The winners are in, and well, I didn't win, but I was beat by some truly amazing cakes.  To see for yourself, go here: http://www.threadcakes.com/winners

But for those of you who want to see all the pictures of my cake, I decided to post them here now that the contest is over.


Here is John molding our sugar into the narwhal's horn.  Also, working with sugar can be difficult, because it will cool quickly, which is why we had to work it over a stove to keep it pliable.  Also notice the gloves.  Sugar is really hot and it will give you really bad burns if you aren't wearing gloves.  As it was, John and I had some trouble holding on to the sugar.







Carving the cake.











The cake is all carved and we added a gum paste tail.













Then we covered everything in fondant.
















Next we painted the whale, no nar at this point, and made some sugar waves.











We made the creatures out of fondant and painted them with food dye.












Then we made the little hearts so we had a friendly whale.












Here's a better picture with the table all cleaned up.












Next, we added the horn to transform our whale into the lovely narwhal.











Unfortunately, the horn immediately fell down.  Our narwhal, with its sagging horn, next to our model, the avenging narwhal playset.













As part of the contest, we had to show the cake being eaten, so anyone up for sushi?












Here's the original design for the cake and even though I didn't win, I got to make a cake to honor nature's unicorn, the narwhal.

1 comment: